Hord Office/Ramirez Hospital

Two blocks from Roma’s steamboat landing site is this two-story stuccoed sandstone structure built in 1853 by city’s first lawyer, Edward R. Hord. Born in Virginia, Hord arrived at the Rio Grande Valley in 1846 with a volunteer regiment in the Mexican American War. During the 1850s he served as acting attorney for the Mexican heirs of Spanish land grants (porciones) in the area in suits against the U.S. He represented Starr County in the Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Texas legislatures (1851–56) and was elected a delegate to the Secession Convention of 1861 from Starr County. Although he declined an immediate commission in the Texas militia, he had, by 1863, gained the rank of colonel in John S. “Rip” Ford's Confederate Cavalry of the West. During this time, his office/home served as his military headquarters. Decades later the property was bought by Dr. Mario Ramirez, who, in the 1930s, converted it into a hospital and residence.

Listen



A dos manzanas desde el embarcadero de vapores en la localidad de Roma, Texas, se encuentra una estructura de piedra arenisca construida en 1853 por el primer abogado de la ciudad, Edward R. Hord. Nacido de Virginia, Hord llegó a El Valle del Río Grande en 1846 con un regimiento de voluntarios durante la Guerra de Intervención en México y, en la década de 1850, ejerció de abogado en funciones de los herederos de las concesiones de terrenos españolas de la región, conocidas como «porciones», en demandas interpuestas contra los EE. UU. Fue congresista estatal en representación del condado de Starr durante la cuarta, quinta y sexta legislaturas del Estado de Texas (1851-1856) y fue elegido delegado del mismo condado en la convención secesionista de 1861. Si bien rechazó un nombramiento inmediato en la milicia de Texas, hacia 1863 había alcanzado el rango de coronel en la Caballería Confederada del Oeste, al mando del coronel John S. «Rip» Ford. Durante ese período, utilizó el edificio de su casa y bufete como cuartel general. Décadas más tarde, fue comprado décadas muchos años más tarde por el doctor Mario Ramírez, quien lo convirtiera en hospital y residencia durante la década de 1930.

Escucha




GPS Coordinates