Brazos Island

Once a small low barrier island in southernmost Texas that played an important role in the Civil War, Brazos Island does not appear on modern maps. Although the Rio Grande in the nineteenth century could support boat traffic, a sandbar at the mouth of the river prevented large ships from entering its deeper inland waters. The solution was to unload ships at Brazos Island and ferry their cargoes upriver. During the Mexican War, General Zachary Taylor established a military depot on the island’s north end. Following Texas secession from the Union, Confederate troops seized the port. Union naval ships tried to halt the trade through Brazos Island as part of its blockade of the Confederate coast, a strategy that forced the Confederates to shift their commerce to Bagdad, across the river in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas. Nonetheless, until Union forces occupied the island in November 1863, it remained a haven for blockade runners. At that time, Union General Napoleon Dana landed his troops at the depot and fortified it before pursuing his conquest of the Rio Grande Valley. Confederate troops eventually pushed back, but a small U.S. force held Brazos Santiago for the remainder of the war. After Confederate leaders in Texas surrendered in May 1865, Union troops, primarily U.S. Colored Troops, used Brazos as their landing and staging point for postings in the interior. A major storm in 1867 destroyed most of the depots’ structures. The Brazos depot was never rebuilt and its remains eventually disappeared under coastal dunes. The land that formed Brazos Island is still there, but it is now a narrow peninsula connected to the mainland.

Listen



La que fuera una pequeña isla de barrera en el extremo más meridional de Texas, desempeñó un papel importante en la Guerra de Secesión estadounidense. Sin embargo, la Isla de Brazos ya no aparece en los mapas contemporáneos. Durante el siglo XIX, el Río Grande era navegable para embarcaciones de calado, pero un banco de arena en su desembocadura impedía a las embarcaciones mayores penetrar en las aguas fluviales más profundas, así que la solución a este obstáculo consistía en desembarcar las mercancías en la Isla de Brazos y transbordarlas a otras embarcaciones río arriba. Durante la Guerra Méxicoestadounidense o Guerra de Intervención, el general Zacarías Taylor estableció un polvorín en el extremo septentrional de la isla y, después de la secesión de Texas de la Unión, las tropas confederadas tomaron el puerto. Como parte del bloqueo naval de la costa confederada, los navíos unionistas intentaban detener el comercio que transcurría a través de la Isla de Brazos, una estrategia que obligó a la Confederación a desplazar el tráfico comercial a la ribera opuesta, a la ciudad de Bagdad, en el Estado mexicano de Tamaulipas. Sin embargo, hasta que los unionistas ocuparon la isla en noviembre de 1863, ésta siguió siendo puerto franco para los contrabandistas que atravesaban el bloqueo. En esa ocasión, el general unionista Napoleón Dana hizo desembarcar a sus tropas en el polvorín y lo fortificó antes de proceder con la conquista de El Valle del Río Grande. Las tropas confederadas acabaron repeliendo la incursión, pero un pequeño destacamento unionista mantuvo la plaza de Brazos Santiago durante el resto de la conflagración. Tras la rendición de los dirigentes confederados de Texas en mayo de 1865, las tropas de Estados Unidos, en su mayor parte del Regimiento Negro, utilizaron la isla como su punto de arribo y tránsito hacia sus destinos del interior. En 1867, una gran tempestad destruyó la mayor parte de las estructuras del polvorín, que nunca fueron reconstruidas y que acabaron siendo engullidas por las dunas costeras. El terreno que en su momento constituyó la Isla de Brazos sigue ahí, pero se ha convertido en una estrecha península conectada al continente.

Escucha




Details

Location: Brazos Island is a barrier island south of Padre Island, at the south end of the Laguna Madre. Brazos Island State Scenic Park (measuring 1 square mile) is located on this island.

Access: The park is always open and contains 1,000 acres.

Contact: The land is owned by the State of Texas, therefore making it a state park, but there are no facilities available for visitors.

GPS Coordinates