City of Hidalgo (original Edinburgh)

In the 1850s, this ranching settlement on the Rio Grande had become an important crossing point between the United States and Mexico. Later renamed Edinburgh, it had a mercantile store along with a ferry and steamboat landing. Located roughly halfway between Fort Brown and Ringgold Barracks, the town became a strategic objective for Union forces and Confederates alike during the Civil War. Founded by Spanish frontiersmen around 1750, today's "Hidalgo" was originally called La Habitación and became part of a major “salt trail” from La Sal del Rey to central and northern Mexico. In 1848, the United States forced Mexico to give up its claims to northern territory and the village became part of the United States. A Scottish merchant named John Young opened a store here in 1852. Despite its Spanish and Mexican name and culture, Young re-named the settlement Edinburgh after his home city. With a ferry across the river and a steamboat landing, Edinburgh grew in population and military importance. The Military Highway between Fort Brown and Ringgold Barracks ran nearby. During the Civil War, Edinburgh passed back and forth between Union and Confederate control. When Union forces occupied Brownsville in late 1863, the main Confederate cotton trail to Mexico shifted upriver to Edinburgh and the cotton trains headed farther west to Rio Grande City and Laredo. After July 1864, Confederate forces controlled the town and crossing again until the war ended in May 1865 when Edinburgh was occupied by Union forces, including U.S. Colored Troops. It was renamed Hidalgo in 1885.

Listen



En la década de 1850, este asentamiento ganadero en la riba del Río Grande se había convertido en un importante punto de tránsito entre Estados Unidos y México. Rebautizada con posterioridad como Edinburgh, poseía unos almacenes mercantiles así como un embarcadero de barcazas y vapores. La localidad se encontraba aproximadamente a medio camino entre el Fuerte Brown y los barracones militares de Ringgold: durante la Guerra de Secesión estadounidense se convirtió en un objetivo estratégico tanto para las fuerzas unionistas como confederadas. Los colonos españoles la fundaron en 1750 y la actual «Hidalgo» se llamó originalmente «La Habitación», siendo parte de una gran «ruta de la sal» que transcurría entre La Sal del Rey y las regiones centrales y norteñas de México. En 1848 los Estados Unidos obligaron a México a renunciar a sus reivindicaciones territoriales sobre los territorios septentrionales y la población pasó a formar parte de los Estados Unidos. Un comerciante llamado John Young abrió allí una tienda en 1852 y, a pesar del nombre y la cultura española y mexicana propias del asentamiento, Young lo rebautizó como «Edinburgo» en honor a su ciudad natal, la capital de Escocia. Con un transbordador que cruzaba el río y un puerto para vapores, Edinburgh creció como población y como enclave militar de importancia. Una carretera militar que unía el Fuerte Brown con los barracones de Ringgold transcurría por las cercanías y, durante la Guerra de Secesión, el pueblo cambió de manos varias veces entre confederados y unionistas. Cuando las fuerzas de la Unión ocuparon Brownsville a finales de 1863, la ruta del algodón hacia México se desvió río arriba hasta Edinburgh y los cargamentos de algodón se dirigieron aún más hacia el oeste, hasta Río Grande City y Laredo. Después de julio de 1864, las tropas confederadas recuperaron el control de la población y del paso del río hasta el final de la contienda en mayo de 1865, momento en que fue ocupada for las fuerzas unionistas que incluían el Regimiento Negro de los EE.UU. En 1885 recuperó el nombre de Hidalgo.

Escucha




Details

Location: Located on the Rio Grande, about 8 miles south of McAllen, Texas.

Access: The city’s oldest section, or historic district, is presumed to be accessible by private vehicles at any time, day. Border security conditions may inhibit access to locations directly adjacent to the river itself, such as levees.

Contact: Kay Wolf, Assistant City Manager at Hidalgo City Manager's Office.

GPS Coordinates