Resources for Veterans

We thank you for your service and we’re proud you are choosing UTRGV for your education. On this page, we’ve collected forms and links to information you may find useful. Our student organization, Student Veterans of America, would be happy to welcome you to UTRGV. Beyond your VA and Texas Veterans benefits, be sure to review our general financial aid information.

For an overview of healthcare, benefits, and resources available to veterans and their families:
Main page, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

To apply for your benefits:
Benefits application site, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

To introduce you to the range of education benefits available to veterans, active service members, and their families:
Education programs site, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

For residents of Texas:
Texas Veterans Commission
Hazelwood Information

Military Transcript

UTRGV will need your military transcript, which you can request online. There are two sites, one for the Air Force and one for all other branches.

Veterans FAQs

I have never attended The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley and I want to receive educational benefits. What do I do?

If you have any more questions, contact our office at 956-665-7934 or send us an email at

What if I don’t have a transcript because I have never attended another college or university?

If you have not attended any other institution, you will not need to submit a transcript.

How do I receive my Certificate of Eligibility?

You must apply for your educational benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Once you have applied for benefits you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail.

I turned in my paperwork, but I have yet to receive any money after two months. What’s wrong?

When first processing your paperwork, the Veterans Administration goes by a first-come, first-served basis, so it can take up to three months before first getting paid. After your initial setup, and you have been certified for the first time, the upcoming certification process is a quick one.

The certifying official says I have to turn in all this paperwork? Why? Why can’t I just say I want to be certified and that’s it?

As much as we would love to certify you without any documentation and make the process an easier one, all students wishing to be certified and receive their educational benefits must turn in the required documentation. Any documentation, such as degree plans, missing from the file will put the student’s certification on hold until it has been received by our department. Our institution must follow VA policy in order to continue serving our student veteran population.

Do I have to turn in a degree plan, DD-214, COE, transcripts, and my advisement sheet every semester?

No, you do not. We recommend that all freshmen and sophomores turn in their advisement sheets every semester to help speed up their certification, although it is NOT required. All other documentation does not need to be turned in every semester unless you change your major, in which case you will need to bring in a new degree plan. If you do not bring in a new degree plan, we will not be able to certify you for any classes not listed under your current degree plan.

Can I double major?

Yes, you can. Both degree plans must be on file and any class you take must be in accordance with what is listed in your degree plan. Any classes not listed will not be certified.

Office is Closed