To request services from UTRGV Student Accessibility Services (SAS), the student, according to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), must disclose to SAS a physical or mental disability that substantially limits one or more major life activities. Disabilities can include, but are not limited to, learning, hearing, visual, psychological, health and physical conditions. 

To apply for services, a student must first complete an application in mySAS. Ideally, this should occur before the initial appointment with a SAS counselor (or another designated staff member). The student must also submit documentation supporting his/her disability with the application.

SAS and UTRGV do not provide personal assistance, such as personal care attendants, building-to-building transportation, campus navigation assistance, or the transport of books or other personal items.

Temporary Disabilities

Temporary disabilities include, but are not limited to, broken limbs, burns, post‐surgery recovery and other similar conditions that temporarily impair or influence a student’s ability to fully participate in academic activities. Students with a temporary disability or injury are not considered disabled by the law. The University is not obligated to provide services to students with temporary, non‐chronic impairments that last less than three months and are not covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (1990). 

However, some support services may be provided to eligible students with temporary conditions. Services are provided only for the duration of the functional limitations associated with the temporary disability. The eligibility process is the same for all students with disabilities. 

Students with temporary disabilities who are requesting accommodations of any kind must complete an application in mySAS. Supporting documentation must be submitted along with the application. The documentation should indicate the type of disability, severity, limitations, prognosis and estimated duration of the disabling condition. The documentation should be recent and identify current limitations. Additional documentation may be requested to verify the need for continued services after the estimated duration of the condition has expired. 

Dual Enrollment

High school students with disabilities who are interested in accommodations in dual enrollment classes taught by university instructors must register with UTRGV Student Accessibility Services (SAS). This process involves providing documentation of a disability, along with functional limitations, and meeting with SAS staff. Since each student is unique, each case is considered individually through an interactive process involving the student. 

Note: Accommodations and services provided through a high school student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) may not be applicable in the university setting.