Pregnancy and Parenting FAQ

If you are a pregnant or parenting student, you may be eligible for accommodations to maintain access to student programs, including, but not limited to, admissions, educational programs and activities, and extracurricular activities.

  • How Does Title IX apply to pregnant or parenting students?

    Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex – which includes pregnancy and related conditions e.g. childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy, and parenting.
  • What pregnancy related accommodations am I eligible to receive?

    Eligibility to receive accommodations is based on your request; medical documentation; and an interactive process with personnel to determine reasonable accommodations depending upon individual circumstances and course, program or activity requirements.

    Examples of accommodations include, but are not limited to: frequent breaks; accessible seating or furniture; alternative class activities; excused absences, and additional time for completing course assignments.

  • What type of parenting related accommodations are available?

    Parenting related accommodations are those needed for the care of a child by the child’s parents in the reasonably immediate postpartum period, typically, the first twelve weeks post birth.  Parenting related accommodations may include, but are not limited to: access to  Nursing Mother’s Suites ; frequent breaks; alternative class activities; excused absences, and additional time for completing course assignments.
  • Where do I go to request accommodations for my classes?

    Request for accommodations may be submitted   online. Information should include medical documentation regarding functional limitations that may impact academic participation and anticipated due date or period of expected leave. If you have questions, contact Student Accessibility Services:

    (956) 882-7374 Brownsville

    (956) 665-7005 Edinburg

  • Where do I go to request accommodations for my work?

    If you work on campus and are pregnant or parenting, you may be eligible to receive accommodations in your workplace. For UTRGV workplace accommodation requests, contact the Office of Human Resources at 956-665-3813.
  • After I submit my request for accommodations, what’s next?

    A staff member from Student Accessibility Services or HR will contact you to schedule an appointment to begin an interactive process to determine reasonable accommodations.  The staff member may request additional information from you and may contact the faculty or supervisor as appropriate to better understand the specific nature of the course/course requirement(s) or work. 
  • When do I request accommodations?

    As soon as you believe your participation in academic requirements may be impacted by your medical condition or absence(s) may be needed from academic or on campus employment you should submit your request(s).
  • What do I do if I have experienced discrimination?

    At UTRGV, students, faculty and staff have many reporting options:

    For questions or more information contact:

    Florence Nocar, Chief Equity Diversity Officer
    Office: (956) 665-2452
    Direct: (956) 665-2103

  • FAQ: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and Pregnancy