Need help?

Contact the Office of Human Resources

Student Employment Office

Phone: (E) 956-665-2451

Phone: (B) 956-882-8205


The options in which a student can apply for student employment

  • Work-Study (WS, awarded through the Financial Aid Office)
  • Direct Wage (DW non-work-study)
  • Student Experience Internship Program (SEI, awarded by the Career Center)

Students must be enrolled at UTRGV in order to apply and be eligible for student employment on campus.

  • US citizens or residents must be enrolled at UTRGV (some positions may require more credit hours than others).
  • International students must be enrolled as required by the respective guidance from International Admissions and Services
  • Undergraduate student employees may work up to 19 hours per week.

Work-study is a financial aid-based program (Federal, State, or Institutional) that assists students seeking part-time student employment and is designed to assist US citizens or resident students in financing their post-secondary education. Eligibility for financial aid is determined by a number of factors. To learn more about Financial Aid -Work Study eligibility requirements, visit the Financial Aid webpage. Contact information for UCentral is (956) 882-4026 or e-mail

Direct wage employment offers the student the opportunity to work on campus when the student is not eligible for a work-study award. Any undergraduate and graduate student enrolled in at least 6 credit hours during the fall and spring semesters at UTRGV and meeting SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress), qualifies to work as a direct wage employee.

International students are permitted to work on campus, under the Direct Wage (non-work-study) option. A minimum enrollment of 12 credit hours per semester may be required. To learn more about additional requirements, visit International Admissions and Student Services webpage. Contact information is (956) 882-7092 or email

Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant and Graduate Assistant are three types of assistantships offered to graduate students. Assistantships give graduate students the opportunity to work on campus up to 20-hour per week and are based on college/institutional demands and funds. To apply for assistantships, visit the Graduate College webpage.

Other Student Resources