Responsible for customer service and operations of the climbing wall as part of the outdoor recreation program for University Recreation.
The Climbing Wall Attendant is responsible for customer service and facilitative operations of the Climbing Wall as part of the Outdoor Recreation program for University Recreation.
- Manage the activities of the Climbing Wall area, assist participants with climbing equipment, belay climbers as needed, and maintain climbing routes
- Provide positive customer service to Climbing Wall users, give new climber orientations, and facilitate each participant’s climbing experience with support and encouragement
- Enforce all program, personnel, and department policies and procedures at the University Recreation Building (EUREC), and Climbing Wall
- Responsible for participant overall physical and emotional safety
- Establish and maintain clear and open communication with staff and supervisors
- Support and model the vision and goals of Outdoor Recreation and University Recreation
- Be familiar with all aspects of, and able to implement the Emergency Action Plan at all times
- Inspect equipment, set climbing routes, teach instructional workshops as assigned
- Perform routine maintenance and complete minor repairs on equipment
- Inventory Climbing Wall equipment as needed
- Attend all staff meetings
- Other duties as assigned
Active UTRGV student, registered for a minimum of six (6) credit hours and maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA.
Current CPR and First-Aid Certifications (or obtain within 30 days of hire).
Current Top Rope Belay Certification at the UTRGV Climbing wall (or obtain before first day of training).
- Able to reach the top of the climbing wall at the UTRGV Climbing Wall.
Must be comfortable at heights of up to 50 feet, able to lift 45 lbs., using hand tools and the general cleaning of equipment
Kinesiology or health/wellness major; previous experience in a health and fitness environment.
Hourly Wage: $8.00-$9.50 per hour, depending on the evaluations and acquired certifications.
Scheduling and Hours per week:
Fall/Spring: 6-15 hours per week, on average
Summer: 6-15 hours per week, on average
Student Staff will perform self-evaluations and be evaluated by their supervisor each long academic semester (Fall/Spring)