Identifying Faculty Research Mentors
Step one in engaging in scholarly activities is identifying a faculty mentor. We encourage students to begin exploring scholarly activities and potential faculty mentors during the MS1 year.
Finding a mentor is a process.
The experiences they provide can develop into lifelong and rewarding professional relationships. We recommend talking to several faculty in areas that interest you. Have open discussions with potential mentors about their availability when asking about opportunities.
It is critical to work with your mentor for advice on developing a right-sized project and study plan, creating your study design, and for guidance with any necessary regulatory training or approvals with CITI, IRB, IBC, and IACUC, IBC, etc., depending on the nature of the research. It is important not to make contact with external clinical or community entities without consultation from UTRGV faculty mentors. Do not begin any of these steps without first consulting with your mentor.
- The UTRGV SOM Research Office website provides several resources for students to seek out faculty mentors in their areas of interest using the Find a Mentor website. You can also browse research faculty by College or Institute.
- Access UTRGV SCHOLARWORKS. Search by topic, student or resident author names, faculty advisor names, or event name for presentations and papers (e.g. Student Research Colloquium 2019)
- Contact the course co-directors for MEDI 8127 and MEDI 9331
Dr. Kelsey Baker at Kelsey.Baker@utrgv.edu
Dr. Timothy Loy at Timothy.Loy@utrgv.edu
Scholarly Activities (UTRGV School of Medicine)
- MEDI 8127 Scholarly Activities (Pre-clerkship
- MEDI 9331 Scholarly Activities (Clinical Years)
- MEDI 9511 Extended Scholarly Activities (Clinical Years)
- Funding for Student Research
- Identifying Faculty Research Mentors
- Regulatory Training for Scholarly Activities
- Uploading your research findings to ScholarWorks
- Deliverables for Course Credit - MEDI 8127 and MEDI 9331
- Outside Research Opportunities, Internships and Scholarships