Welcome to the Department of Medical Education
The Department of Medical Education is a multidisciplinary department that provides a collaborative environment for educators from the basic sciences who focus on undergraduate medical education.
To provide innovative medical education and train diverse future physicians, to transform the health of the Rio Grande Valley and beyond.
We aim to have a significant and positive impact on the health of the Rio Grande Valley community and beyond by:
- Fostering the development of core competencies in medical students by providing evidence-based instruction in diverse disciplines within basic medical science.
- Enhancing the learning experience of medical students by using innovative pedagogies and evidence - based practices, in addition to promoting scholarship within the field of medical education.
- Building an environment that nurtures a spirit of collaboration and introduce innovation in teaching approaches.
- Encourage scholarly activities and service.
- Clear Communication & Transparency: Share information openly across all levels of the school to foster a collaborative and trustworthy environment.
- Community Focus: Commitment to improving health outcomes and reducing health disparities via community and population-based interventions.
- Cultural Awareness: Promote an awareness and understanding of social and cultural diversities to successfully align with the nature and needs of the community.
- Empathy & Compassion: Care for and understand the unique needs and circumstances of others and provide the requisite support in achieving positive outcomes.
- Good Stewardship: Selfless service for the common good that is in conjunction with a culture of responsibility and accountability.
- Innovation & Transformation: Embrace change and promote creativity to positively impact the future of academic medicine.
- Integrity: Act with honesty and complete truthfulness under all circumstances.
- Respect, Collegiality, & Inclusiveness: Treat everyone with respect and kindness and thus help foster a climate of inclusivity, cooperation, and connectedness.
Sambandam Elango, MD