Welcome to The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) School of Medicine (SOM) Accreditation website. This website is a hub to help you stay current on new developments, share your feedback, and gain an understanding of how the overall process affects you as a student, faculty, resident, or staff member.
The UTRGV School of Medicine was granted full accreditation for an indeterminate term from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) on June 30, 2023. Achieving full accreditation from the LCME is a significant achievement for the School of Medicine and its educational mission to train the next generation of physicians in the RGV and beyond.
LCME accreditation affirms the high standards of our medical education program, ensuring that we are aligned with the best practices in medical education while delivering quality education to our students.
Why LCME Accreditation Matters:
- Academic Excellence: LCME accreditation assures current and prospective students that our School of Medicine provides a comprehensive and top-tier education that prepares learners for medical practice with a solid foundation in medical science and an orientation toward the social determinants of health.
- Research and Innovation: Accreditation encourages medical schools to engage in cutting-edge research and innovation. The UTRGV School of Medicine is committed to increasing the impact of Biomedical and Clinical Research to improve health in the Rio Grande Valley and Beyond.
- High Quality Patient-Centered Care: By adhering to LCME accreditation standards, UTRGV School of Medicine graduates possess the clinical acumen, ethical integrity, and communication skills necessary to provide safe and effective patient care.
- Continuous Improvement: The LCME accreditation process requires ongoing self-assessment and improvement. The UTRGV School of Medicine is committed to evaluating programs, making necessary enhancements, and remaining responsive to the evolving landscape of medical education and practice through the process of self-assessment and improvement.
- Professional Recognition: LCME accreditation is recognized by medical licensing boards, professional organizations, and healthcare institutions worldwide. UTRGV School of Medicine graduates can confidently pursue the necessary credentials to practice medicine.
Jeremy Gibson, MD
Vice Dean for Education
Faculty Accreditation Lead
Muriel Warren, MBA
Assistant Dean for Accreditation
Survey Visit Coordinator