Workers' Compensation Insurance

Workers' Compensation Insurance is a type of insurance specifically designed to provide medical benefits and, in some cases, financial payments to employees on the payroll of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) who suffer injuries or occupational diseases in the course and scope of employment. In instances of injury or illness arising out of or in the course of employment, the employee is entitled to all medical aid, hospital services, and medication reasonably required at the time of injury and anytime thereafter to cure and relieve the effects naturally resulting from the injury. In some instances, financial benefits will be available to offset a temporary loss of wage earning capacity and/or to compensate for permanent impairment due to the injury.

Access to Care for Your Injury

  • Immediately notify your supervisor of the injury; UTRGV policy states injuries must be reported within 24 hours of the injury. Failure to notify within 30 days may result in denial of the claim. NOTIFYING A CO-WORKER IS NOT PROPER NOTIFICATION.
  • Complete a First Report of Injury or Illness Form in conjunction with your supervisor.
  • Supervisor. Please review Supervisor FAQ (below) for guidance.
  • If it is an emergency, seek medical attention, however, ensure you complete a First Report of Injury form as soon as possible after you have received medical attention.
  • To seek or not to seek medical care is your decision, however if you choose not to seek medical attention, file a First Report of Injury and indicate “Incident Only” on the form.
  • If you are not able to transport yourself, call UTRGV Police at (956) 882-4911 for assistance.
  • Medical Treatment –medical treatment must be made from the list of doctors approved by The UT System Network – Injury Management Organization (IMO) Approved Doctor List. Contact your Workers’ Compensation Representative at (956) 665-2902 or review the following web page
    - Approved Network Providers.

Note: Failure to access a doctor from this approved list can result in you not having your benefits paid for.

  • The EHSRM Claims Representative may assist you by suggesting medical providers who accept Workers’ Compensation Insurance for employees injured at work via network.

Post Injury reporting Responsibilities

  • Communicate all changes in work status to your supervisor and the WCI Employer representative immediately.
  • If you are losing or have lost time from work, the Representative must complete a Request for Paid Leave Form as soon as possible. Depending on the length, you may also need to contact the Employee Benefit Representative in Human Resources regarding insurance benefits.

Related Links


Injury Management Organization

Telemed Services

Policies and Procedures


Program Staff Members

Celia Saenz
Program Coordinator
Environmental Health Safety & Risk Management
EEHSB 1.111

Return to Risk Management and Insurance