Insurance Policies

All of the following are UT System based policies, however, they are facilitated through UTRGV EHSRM offices. All applications should be submitted through the EHSRM office. If you have any questions, please contact Celia Saenz at 956-665-2902 or email her at

Automobile Coverage

Automobile coverage protects the institution from financial loss in the event of an accident involving a University vehicle and generally consists of two different types of coverages. Liability coverage pays for the institutions legal responsibility to others for bodily injury or property damage when the University is at fault in an accident. All vehicles are required to have this insurance. Physical damage insurance is optional and insures against damage to a University vehicle for perils such as collision, vandalism, fire, and theft. It is recommended that all vehicles that are newer than five years old purchase this coverage. Departments are responsible for ensuring the vehicles are added to the Institutional Blanket Insurance policy prior to use of the vehicle, and are responsible for payment. The program is managed jointly by the EHSRM Office and Fleet Services.

Form: Vehicle Information Sheet Form [PDF]

Important Information regarding employees who use their personal vehicle for Business Travel *

Employees who use their personal vehicle for official business travel are not protected by a System or UTRGV Auto Insurance policy. Conversely, in the event of an accident the employees is required to use their own auto insurance to pay for any claims (property or liability) arising from the accident.

Employees who use their personal vehicle for official business travel are required to:

  1. Have a valid driver's license issued by the state in which the person permanently resides.
  2. Carry auto liability insurance that meets the minimum requirements in their state of residence.
  3. Report all vehicle accidents immediately to the Department of Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management. 

Equipment Policy

The Equipment Policy provides coverage for direct physical loss or damage to scheduled articles, except those excluded within the policy. Typical pieces of equipment covered include laboratory type equipment, primarily those that are used outside. These are physical mechanical breakdowns derived from unforeseen circumstances such as flood, power surge etc., and is not designed to take the place of a maintenance program. The approximate cost to ensure an article of equipment is the following:

  1. Scheduled Equipment: .55 per $100 in value
  2. Waterborne Equipment: 1.39 per $100 in value
  3. Airborne Equipment: 1.39 per $100 in value

The standard deductible is $2,500.00 for a scheduled article and $1,000.00 for laptops and mobile devices (per occurrence).

Form: Equipment Policy Application [MS Excel]

Fine Arts Policy

The Fine Arts Policy provides coverage for paintings, etchings, drawings (including frames, glasses and shadow boxes), rare books, manuscripts, rugs, tapestries, statuary, and other bona-fide works of art, or rarity, historic value, or artistic merit. The program insures against all risks of physical loss or damage from any external cause, except as excluded within the policy. Some common exclusions related to the fine arts policy are wear and tear, deterioration, hostile or warlike action in time of peace or war, shipments by mail unless by registered first class mail or parcel post provided.  A $500 deductible applies to UT-owned art, while no deductible applies to loaned items or items while in transit. A special $5,000 deductible applies to outdoor sculptures (both owned and loaned).  Items are required to be on University property to be eligible.

Form: Fine Arts Policy Application

Tenant User Liability Insurance Program (TULIP)

The TULIP program is designed to provide low cost, event specific, general liability insurance to Tenants / Users of UT System facilities. It protects the Tenants / Users and the Institution against claims by third parties who may be injured or sustain property damage as a result of participating in a covered event. Coverable events can range from low risk events such as classroom seminars, receptions or weddings to higher risk events including sports events or concerts. Higher risk events may need to be sent to the insurance carrier for individual underwriting. All renters who rent UTRGV facilities are required to obtain TULIP insurance if they are not already covered under their respective organization’s policy. 

Form: TULIP Application [MS Excel]

Camp Insurance

Camp Insurance provides Excess Accident and General Liability coverage for enrolled, UTRGV-owned camps and clinics held throughout the year. Coverage is available for both Athletic and Academic focused camps. UTRGV mandates that all sports camps and camps that have an overnight stay purchase this insurance.

Form: UTRGV Camp Insurance Application - Non-Sports [PDF]
Form: UTRGV Camp Insurance Application - Sports [PDF]
Form: UTRGV Camp Insurance Application - Online [PDF]

Special Event General Liability

Outside entities who wish to utilize the campus facilities to host an event and are not insured are mandated to purchase Special Event General Liability (SEGL).  The SEGL policy protects the UT System and the hosting Institution against claims by third parties who may sustain bodily injury or property damage as a result of participating in the sponsored event. It is recommended that all UTRGV departments who sponsor an event in which there is a chance of physical injury purchase the special event insurance. The cost of the insurance is specific to the type of event.

Form: Special Event Insurance Application [PDF]

Special Event (Field Trip) Plan

The Special Event Coverage provides insurance to students while participating in a scheduled, supervised departmental or class-sponsored field trips or university sponsored activities including summer camps, special programs and recreational sports trips:


Please contact the EHSRM department when deciding to purchase this insurance.