Edinburg: ESTAC 2.101
Phone: Brownsville (956) 882-5627
Phone: Edinburg (956) 665-2243
Connect with Employers
Employers are interested in hiring UTRGV students and graduates and learning about the varied skills you possess. There are many ways to connect with these employers, through networking, on-campus and virtual events, job and internship postings, and career fairs.
Connect on Handshake
Most colleges and schools offer career fairs each fall and spring semester.
Steps for Success
- Explore events on Handshake to gather information about upcoming career fairs and employer events in advance so you have time to prepare.
- Create a list of the organizations with whom you hope to connect at the fair. Do your homework and understand the organizations and their available positions.
- Update your resume
- Create and practice your elevator pitch to maximize your confidence and to ensure your interactions get a strong start.
- For virtual career fairs, prepare by orienting yourself to the software and ensure you understand the process. Register to attend and schedule your time to speak with recruiters in advance if possible.
- Even if you are participating in a virtual career fair, dress appropriately to increase your confidence.
- Ensure your camera angle and lighting are adequate and reduce distractions. Minimize the possibility of technical issues by practicing the technology you will be using.
- After the event, follow-up with a professional thank you email to the recruiters with whom you spoke. This will remind them of your encounter and help you maintain a positive relationship for the future.
UTRGV students can connect with a variety of employers across industries at campus-wide networking events. Put your face to your resume and build your employer network at the following events.
- Mocktail Mixers
- Dining Etiquette Dinners
- Coffee Chats (e.g., Coffee & Careers)
- Student/Employer Networking Mixers
Information Sessions are a great opportunity to learn more about companies and organizations that interest you. Take advantage of these employer-led sessions and learn more about organizational culture and opportunities, or simply introduce yourself!
Information sessions are hosted early during the fall and spring semesters. To learn about upcoming information sessions, visit the Events page in Handshake.
No matter which type of event you’re attending, preparation is critical and will reduce your stress, increase your confidence, and help you make a great impression.
Looking for a quiet space for a virtual job interview? Reserve an interview room.
UTRGV hosts career exploration and development, professional development, and employer-led presentations and events throughout the year. We invite you to browse our highlighted and upcoming events below, and explore the full list of events via your Handshake account.