From finding new skills and passions to gaining confidence in a professional setting, the Student Experience Internship (SEI) program can help you take a big step toward finding success after college.
- Paid internship @ $12/hr
- Learn more about your prospective field of interest, by taking your education beyond the classroom
- Develop critical skills such as time management, project management, communication, research, problem-solving, and more!
- Exclusive networking and professional development opportunities
- Cohort building activities to build your peer network
- Flexible work schedules while going to school
- Experience to add on your resume
- Be pursuing a bachelor’s degree for the first time at UTRGV
- Be enrolled 12 credit hours or more, each fall and spring semesters
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher with good academic standing
- Meet SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) requirements
- A minimum of 12 credit hours completed in residence as a full-time student at UTRGV
- A minimum of 30 credit hours completed for transfer students
- A maximum of 100 credit hours completed for first time applicants
- Be a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident, or International Student with F-1 Visa.
- Graduate, Doctoral, or Post-Doctorate students are not eligible
- High School graduate or GED (High school students do not qualify)
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN! Log in Handshake to apply.
Students interested in the SEI program will have an opportunity to apply through Handshake when SEI positions are made available. Hosting departments will post their SEI approved positions for students to review and apply. Note: Dates of SEI postings are tentative and will be made available based on departmental position approval.
To apply, students must upload the following application documents to their Handshake profile:
- Current resume
- Current unofficial transcript
- Class schedule (for the semester to which you are applying)
Students will be selected through an application and interview process by the hosting department. Students must meet program eligibility and commit to the program. Students are expected to demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills. If selected, students will be required to follow student employment hiring assignments such as completing the following.
- Federal law requires new employees at of UTRGV to establish identity and eligibility (social security number) to work in the United States. The I-9 link will be provided to the new hire by the supervisor. Student employee will need to complete all required fields of the I-9 online form presented by their supervisor.
Criminal Background Check (CBC)
- Effective as of 07/18/2016 the hiring individuals meeting the following criteria will need to complete a CBC
- New employees (being hired for the first time ever part-time or full-time)
- Break in service of 6 months or more within the last 12 months at UTRGV
- A position reclassification (Student Employee to Full-time Staff)
- Transfers or promotions
Professional Development Experiences
Students participating in the Student Experience Internship (SEI) program will immerse themselves into experiences that will allow them to develop leadership skills, adopt professionalism, and excel in their career. In addition to interning with a hosting department, SEI students can expect to be involved in the following programs and activities.
- Attend a career fair of your choice
- Participate in one professional development workshop of their choice (promoted through Career Center)
- Participate in a one-time presentation showcasing their SEI experience
Students participating in the Student Experience Internship (SEI) program will be expected to attend one career fair of choice for the year participating in the program. The Career Center offers various career fairs for students in a variety of industries. Listed below are fairs you can attend each year.
- Fall Career Expo (all majors)
- Fall Teachers Job Expo
- Fall Graduate & Professional School Fair
- Spring Career Expo (all majors)
- Spring Teachers Job Expo
- Health Affairs and Nursing Expo
Professional Development Workshop(s)
Interns will join ONE professional development workshop of their choice hosted by the Career Center during their internship.
Professional Development Workshops may include internship panels, skills presentation, student conferences and/or networking opportunities.
Workshops are tentative based on year participating. Students will be communicated about professional workshops throughout their internship.
Student Experience Presentation
At the conclusion of your internship, you will be required to present on the knowledge and skills you have acquired through your internship experience with SEI.
This presentation will be conducted virtually through Interview Stream, an interview platform offered through the Career Center.