COVID-19 Library Updates
Hours of Operation
The UTRGV Libraries will be open normal fall semester hours. Please check our hours page for more information.
Before visiting the library, all University students and employees must review the current version of the COVID-19 Daily Self-Screening questions regarding COVID-19 related symptoms.
When Visiting the Library
- Face masks/coverings are strongly encouraged to enter and use all library spaces.
- Furniture and computer workstations have been adjusted for social distancing; for your safety, do not study in groups or move the furniture
- Plexiglass is installed at the library service desks in Edinburg and Brownsville.
- Please follow the floor markings designating six-foot distancing and stand behind the Plexiglas when approaching a service desk.
- We are disinfecting the areas you use, so please adhere and follow the "Help Us Help You Stay Healthy" flyer guidelines posted on study carrels, tables, and computer workstations.
- Some areas/rooms might be closed throughout the library building.
Practice Social Distancing
- No groups of 10 or more.
- Social distancing is optional for fully vaccinated individuals and highly recommended for individuals who are not fully vaccinated or who have weakened immune systems.
- Computer labs will be available to provide internet and computer access to students.
- Hand sanitizers and disinfecting wipes stations are available on all computer labs.
- Computer lab cleaning practices will be enhanced and computer shared spaces will be wiped down to keep the surfaces clean.
- Please wash your hands before and after using the computer lab.
- Printing is available. The University Library provides access to black and white as well as color printers via UTRGV PaperCut.
List of campus UTRGV Computer Labs available to students
- EDINBURG - EACSB 2.106 (OPEN LAB), 2.110, 2.120, 2.146, 2.148, 2.150, 2.158, 2.160, 2.164
- Additional MAC computers at VABL will be made available if needed
- BROWNSVILLE - BMAIN 1.312, 1.508, 1.514, 1.524, 2.518, 2.526
Due to the ongoing nature of the situation, these policies are subject to change.
- A no food policy is implemented, to support efforts toward a clean building and allow custodial services to focus on sanitizing the building.
- Students can reserve study rooms three days in advance starting at 8:00 a.m. up to three hours in one hour increments.
- Shelves are available for browsing. Students, faculty, and staff can browse our collections in the main stack areas at Edinburg and Brownsville or place a book request through our library catalog. Once your book is found you will receive an email that the book is available for pick up at the selected campus. For assistance, text the Brownsville Campus at (956) 825-3578 or the Edinburg Campus at (956) 253-8031.
- Interlibrary Loan services are currently available. Availability of items may be limited due to delivery or closures of other libraries resulting in your request possibly being cancelled. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our ILL site for any questions.
- Course Reserves are now available. Students can check out these materials for a two hour usage period (library use only) with a valid university ID card.
- Faculty members can place items on Course Reserve through the following forms:
- To recommend the library purchase materials for Course Reserves:
- Students, Faculty, Staff can check out books with a valid university ID card.
- Items are no longer renewing automatically. Please make sure to renew or return items before the due date to prevent overdue fees accumulating.
- Specific questions on library loans, requests, fines and fees can be directed to Brownsville: (956) 882-8221 or Edinburg: (956) 665-2005. Or email: email@example.com
- The TexShare Card Program will resume August 23, 2021.
We are not accepting donations of materials to the Library at this time. Any unsolicited donations dropped off at the Library will be immediately discarded along with any accompanying paperwork.
Research and Instructional Services
- Librarians will be readily available to assist students through chat or email.
- Students may also set up a virtual or in person consultation with a librarian for research assistance.
- Research Guides and instruction videos are available on the University Library website.
- Faculty can schedule a course-related instructional session and subject-specific workshops.
Special Collections & Archives and the Border Studies Archive (Closed)
- Special Collections & Archives is currently providing limited on-campus services (Monday – Friday, 8AM – 5PM). To meet the needs of our academic community, campus research appointments are available for UTRGV and TSC students, staff, and faculty. Online/remote research requests are available for all patrons, researchers, and scholars. For assistance with finding and accessing resources, please submit an Online Research Request.
- Border Studies Archive is closed to on-campus visits until further notice. Patrons and researchers are assisted remotely whenever possible. Please submit a BSA Online Research Request form to initiate inquiries for research projects, scholarly interests, and course assignments.
- The Library is open for business, but due to certain circumstances, we are operating with limited hours, services, and staff. Access to physical items in our Federal Depository Library Collection will be limited to these hours.
- Access to online government information is available as usual through our LibGuides page. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we will provide full access again as soon as possible.
- In the meantime, you may contact the regional or nearby selectives for help with government information. Contact information for nearby libraries can be found in the Federal Depository Library Directory.