Graduation Information

Applying for graduation—A MUST DO!

As a graduate student, you are responsible for applying for graduation with the Graduate College. Here are a few items to keep in mind:

  • You must apply for graduation using the UTRGV Graduation Application. (Do NOT apply through your account.)
  • If you are applying for graduation of a certificate program, please use the Certificate Application for the certificate you are pursuing. If you are applying for both a graduate degree and a certificate, you must submit a graduation application and a certificate application.
  • Apply for graduation 9 months prior to commencement.

If you are ready to apply for graduation, follow the instructions below:

  1. Submit a Graduation Application to the Graduate College by the deadline that applies to you.

    Graduation Term Deadline
    Spring 9 months prior to graduation
    Summer 9 months prior to graduation
    Fall 9 months prior to graduation
  2. Make a Payment: After you submit your Graduation Application to the Graduate College, we will post the $32 fee to your account.  Please allow about 1-2 business days for your fee to be posted.
  3. Meet all requirements for the degree you are seeking.  Be sure that you have fulfilled all requirements specified on your official degree plan.  If you chose to purse the Thesis or Dissertation option, you should consult with the Graduate Advisor for specific procedures that must be followed.  In order to have the title of your thesis printed in the Commencement program, it must be approved prior to printing deadlines, which are approximately eight weeks before graduation.  
  4. Enjoy your graduation! You earned it.  For information on the date of the commencement ceremony visit the Guide to Graduation webpage or contact the Office of the Registrar at 956-665-2201.  If you are interested in purchasing academic regalia and invitations, visit the university bookstore or call them at 956-665-2252.

Note: If you have already applied for graduation but need to change your graduation date, please use the "Transfer Graduation Form"

Graduation Forms:

Certificate Program Graduation Applications: