Need to Connect with an Elected Official?

Letter from UTRGV President Guy Bailey

September 5, 2018

Dear Faculty and Staff:

As we approach a new year and a new state legislative session, it is important that we work as a team across the Rio Grande Valley to assure that our legislative priorities are effectively communicated and that our state and federal legislators are being given appropriate and timely information.

Since we have a number of people who are either new administrators or new to their current administrative roles, I want to refresh your memories regarding the legislative contact policy that we should all adhere to.

Legislative Contact Policy: The Office of Governmental and Community Relations has the primary official responsibility to communicate with all local, state, and federally-elected officials and their respective staff regarding The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley’s present and future legislative funding and policy priorities. To ensure appropriate, timely and coordinated responses to all legislative inquiries, please forward for review all inquiries to:

Ms. Veronica Gonzales, Vice President for Governmental and Community Relations
Phone: 956-665-2128
Fax: 956-665-5308

Should you be contacted by elected officials or their staff, please notify Ms. Gonzales and feel free to direct officials to her office for answers to questions they may have or for assistance. Likewise, should you need assistance from an elected official, you may contact Ms. Gonzales.  Please be considerate of the elected officials’ time and provide ample notice on any requests.

In addition, state law and University policy prohibit employees from representing the University and expressing opinions for or against any legislative action on matters relating to official University business or from using any University resources, including stationery, fax machines, e-mail and telephones, to conduct such activities. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley’s legislative contact policy does not preclude an employee from expressing opinions for or against any legislative action as a private citizen.

Please direct all questions relating to this subject to the Office of Governmental and Community Relations.

Thank you so much for your help and cooperation.


Guy Bailey