Welch Undergraduate Scholarship
Description: The Welch Undergraduate Scholarship at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) is open to any student who has had at least 20 hours of credit in Chemistry or Chemical Science and is in good standing in the chemistry department. The primary objective of this grant is to engage undergraduate students in basic chemical research to gain a more comprehensive knowledge in the chemical sciences. Welch Foundation funding provides the chemistry department an opportunity to: 1. recruit and retain and promote academically talented students to pursue career in Chemistry; and 2. provide quality training, development, education, and student support through scholarship and other support to enable them to excel in chemical sciences and finish their degree in a timely manner. The scholarship will be awarded in a single lump sum. The amount of the award will be determined based on the number of eligible applications.
- Be a sophomore/junior/senior student at UTRGV with a GPA of 3.25 or better.
- Must pursue BS Chemistry degrees at UTRGV.
- Must enroll full time (at least 12 credit hours per semester).
- Must be recommended by one of the chemistry faculty members who have mentored the applicant for at least one semester.
To apply, please submit the attached application form by Nov. 1, 2021. The Scholarship Committee will review your application as soon as possible and will send you notification by the middle of November 2021.
The awardees are expected to:
- carry out research under the supervision of one of the chemistry faculty members for the academic year you are funded;
- submit a proposal to present at one or more of the following venues: UTRGV chemistry department chemistry problem poster sessions, UTRGV COS conference, the UTRGV Engaged Scholar Symposium (ES2), or other local , regional, national conferences as well as to participate in and/or attend the conference during the academic year you are funded; and
- write a research report at the end of year summarizing the research work completed.