Sexual Assault Awareness

Reporting Sexual Assault

If you are the victim of a sexual assault, report the incident IMMEDIATELY to the University Police Department. If off campus, contact the nearest law enforcement agency. Reporting an assault does not mean that you must press charges or take the case to criminal trial or to a University disciplinary hearing.

Take the following steps to preserve evidence:

  1. Don't wash, shower, or change clothes.
  2. Call police immediately and report the incident and location. If possible, describe the attack and give police any other helpful information.
  3. Get medical attention. You may have injuries you are not aware of. A friend or relative may accompany you to the hospital.
  4. At the hospital, you will receive first aid and have a physical exam.
  5. During the exam, be sure to show the doctor any cuts, bruises or scratches on your body.
  6. You may request that police not release your name to the media.
  7. Remember, reporting sexual assaults to the police:
    1. helps pinpoint crime areas
    2. helps identify offenders
    3. may help solve your case
    4. can prevent the attacker from hurting someone else

Office for Victim Advocacy & Violence Prevention (OVAVP)

Victim advocates at UTRGV provide confidential, non-judgmental assistance to victims and survivors of sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking. Advocates can explain rights, assist with locating medical, psychological, and legal resources on campus and off campus, and help victims and survivors with appropriate accommodations for their unique situations. They are available M-F on Edinburg campus (956-665-8287) from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., in Brownsville by appointment only (956-882-8282), and after hours via email (

Services For Victims of Sexual Assault

Victims of sexual assault should obtain immediate medical attention at an area hospital emergency room. Hidalgo County hospital emergency rooms are required by law to treat victims of sexual assault. Area hospitals that can provide thorough rape exams and evidence collection.

Safe H.A.V.E.N. Forensic Exam Center at Renaissance
5501 S. McColl Rd.
Edinburg, TX 78539
Cell: 956-249-6452
Office: 956-362-7774
Valley Baptist Medical Center (SANE Nurse/CART)
2101 Pease St.
Harlingen, TX 78550

The Rape Crisis Center, operated by Women Together/Mujeres Unidas, offers services for sexual assault victims. Located at 511 N. Cynthia, McAllen, Texas, the Rape Crisis Center offers a 24-hour hotline (956-630-4878), victim's assistance, and confidential counseling.

The UTRGV Counseling Center, located at EUCTR 109, has trained counselors who offer individual, personal and group counseling to students who are victims of sexual assault. Call 956-665-2574

UTRGV's Student Health Services provides medical services to students who have been victims of sexual assault; however, the Clinic does not have an emergency room and should not be used as the first medical contact after a sexual assault. Victims of sexual assault should go immediately to one of the hospital emergency rooms listed above. Student Health Services hours are Monday - Thursday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. The Student Health Services is located at 613 N. Sugar Road, next to the Wellness and Recreational Sports Complex, phone 956-665-2511.

The University can help students make reasonable, alternate on-campus living or class arrangements after an incident. Students requesting this assistance should contact the Office of the Dean of Students, University Center 323, 956-665-2260