Student Access & Success
As an institution that serves a unique population of students, including Hispanic/Latino and first-generation students, UTRGV is committed to promoting student access and success by fostering academic readiness, educational attainment, and social mobility in the Rio Grande Valley and beyond. We also recognize the importance of providing high-quality educational and co-curricular experiences at an affordable cost for students and their families. Over 25% of the Rio Grande Valley’s population lives in poverty with per capita income ranging from approximately $14,000 to $17,500. UTRGV has been consistently ranked as one of the nation’s leaders in promoting affordability, low average student debt, economic mobility, and for having one of the highest first-year retention rates in the UT system. We are also a proud recipient of the Seal of Excelencia certification, recognizing our positive impact on Hispanic/Latino students.
Over the next five years, UTRGV will continue to support access and affordability by maintaining our commitment to low student debt and by increasing our offering of scholarship and tuition guarantee programs. We will advance student success by more effectively leveraging data to improve student outcomes and by cultivating an environment where prospective and current students are connected to a range of support services, as well as opportunities to lead, learn, and serve in the community. By equipping our students with the resources they need to successfully navigate their personal and professional lives, each graduate will become a positive force for change in the Rio Grande Valley and beyond.
- Signature Initiatives in Support of Student Access and Success
- Stimulate Social Mobility: Expand and enhance programs to promote social mobility through increased student retention, reduced time-to-graduation, and minimal average student debt, including the UTRGV Tuition Advantage and "15 to Finish" programs.
- Increase Financial Support for Students: Strengthen academic and financial supports for students through scholarship and tuition guarantee programs, including the Luminary Scholarship Program, work study and direct wage opportunities, and off-campus employment.
- Promote Data-Informed Decision-Making and Collaboration: Leverage data-informed decision-making and partnerships across UTRGV’s colleges/schools and the Office of Student Success to promote shared ownership of student success, predict student outcomes, and implement targeted interventions.
- Strengthen Community Educational Pipelines: Promote academic readiness through Collegiate High Schools, dual-enrollment programs, and partnerships with local K-12 schools, as well as support for bilingual education in the region.