At UTRGV, we recognize the positive impact that a vibrant and active campus experience can have on student success, well-being, and belonging. While we responded decisively and effectively to the COVID-19 pandemic by moving many classes and extracurricular activities online, the pandemic clearly revealed our desire to gather in groups, interact face-to-face, and share common experiences. As we continue to emerge from the pandemic, we are committed to enhancing the vibrancy of all UTRGV campuses, as evidenced by the UTRGV Foundation’s recent $1 million investment toward campus life initiatives. We will also continue to build an inclusive and supportive on-campus environment that values each of our students’ unique qualities and interests through our numerous student clubs and organizations.
We aim to further integrate residential life, athletics, arts & culture, and extra-curricular opportunities to transform UTRGV into a destination campus and enhance the student and community experience. While most current students commute to our campuses, we recognize the importance of expanding affordable on-campus housing and dining options for students who are seeking a residential experience. Therefore, we have been working closely with the cities of Edinburg, Brownsville, McAllen, and Harlingen to expand these opportunities.
- Signature Initiatives in Support of Campus Life
- Invest in the Residential Experience: Expand and enhance the campus life experience including housing and dining services and athletics facilities.
- Nurture Vibrant Communities across Campuses: Strengthen community on the campuses through student participation in affinity-based housing, extracurricular opportunities, and student clubs and organizations.
- Expand and Enhance Athletics and Spirit Programs: Launch new athletics and spirit programs, including Football, Women’s Swimming and Diving, and Marching Band, and continue to strengthen the student-athlete and game-day experiences for faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community members.
- Become a Cultural Hub in the Rio Grande Valley: Create a college-town atmosphere for students, faculty, and staff through on-campus events, arts & culture series, and partnerships with local businesses and community organizations.