International Medical Graduates

Thank you for your interest in The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine Graduate Medical Education (GME) programs.  To be eligible to enter into one of our programs, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Have a valid ECFMG Certificate

  • A resident in our programs must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident, refugee or asylee, who has been formally granted such status by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security of the U.S. Department of State

  • MUST obtain a J-1 visa sponsored by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)

  • Resident Selection and Appointment

  • Any additional criteria that the program may determine

Additional information can be obtained by contacting the program in which you are interested in. Program information can be found in the GME Program Directory.