Who We Are Now

study abroad

For more information contact Dr. Ruth Crutchfield: (ruth.crutchfield@utrgv.edu)

UTRGV students learn, experience the world through Study Abroad courses

UTRGV Study Abroad

UTRGV Study Abroad students stand at the historic Roman Bridge, which crosses the Tormes River on the banks of the city of Salamanca, in Castilla y León, Spain. (Courtesy Photo)

RIO GRANDE VALLEY, TEXAS – This summer, 170 UTRGV students are traveling the world to discover new experiences through the Study Abroad program. In May, students along with their faculty advisors traveled to China, Spain, London, and South Korea as part of UTRGV’s Minimester Study Abroad program.

Amanda Meda, who has a bachelor’s degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders, was one of six graduate students who participated in a seminar in Multicultural Speech Langauge Pathology in Spain. The course was designed to expose students to diverse cultures and immerse them in a new environment. Meda said she enjoyed the food and the sights, and that the trip was “unlike any other educational experience” she had ever had.

Read the full article here.

PLEASE NOTE: The Department of Communications Sciences & Disorders is currently updating its website. Please excuse any links that don't work or other issues until the website has been updated.


Welcome to the Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. We are located on the main floor of the Edinburg Health Affairs Building West (EHABW). Our main office is EHABW 1.264. Our department offers a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders, a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders, a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in American Sign Language (ASL) Interpretation, as well as a minor in ASL Studies. You can learn more about the requirements for the master’s and bachelor’s degrees and the ASL Studies minor by simply clicking on the appropriate link above.

Graduate Program

The graduate (i.e., master’s degree) program in Communication Sciences and Disorders requires six consecutive academic terms to complete. Studies always begin in the fall semester, then continue into the spring semester, summer I session, summer II session, fall semester and finally spring semester. A student who enters the graduate program in the fall of 2019 will graduate in May of 2021 if they graduate on time. It should be noted that we accept only students who have earned a baccalaureate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders or Speech-language Pathology. We do not offer courses for students who earned a bachelor’s degree in another discipline and would like to change career path, neither do we accept into our graduate program students who have taken “leveling” courses from another institution of higher education. Prospective graduate students are urged to visit the Program Accreditation section of our web site.

Undergraduate Programs

For the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders and Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in American Sign Language (ASL) Interpretation, students officially enter the program and begin their studies at the beginning of their junior year. The undergraduate programs are designed to be completed within two academic years (junior and senior year) while the minor in ASL Studies is designed to be completed within the first two academic years of study.

We hope you find the information contained within to be informative as well as motivational. If you’re the type of person who loves working with other people in a way that makes a positive impact on their lives, Communication Sciences and Disorders may be the career path for you.


What are Communication Disorders?

Two professions comprise the field of communication disorders—Audiology and Speech-language Pathology. Audiologists provide diagnostic hearing and balance evaluations and aural rehabilitation services. Speech-language Pathologists (also known as a Speech Pathologists or Speech Therapists) work with people who have impairments of speech, language, and swallowing by diagnosing and remediating these disorders. Speech disorders may include problems with the proper pronunciation of certain speech sounds, voice and resonance disorders (such as vocal nodules or laryngectomy), and fluency disorders (such as stuttering). Language disorders can occur in children and adults. In children, language disorders may exhibit themselves in the presence or absence of other disorders such as developmental disabilities or intellectual impairment. In adults, language and swallowing problems are most likely a result of stroke or a progressive, degenerative neurological disorder such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s disease). Clients or patients represent the entire age range from birth to the elderly and come from a wide variety of racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds. The majority of employment positions are in the public schools and medical settings but opportunities also exist in community agencies, free standing clinics and private practice. 

Please note: The Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders does not offer an audiology program. Students desiring to become audiologists must either earn the baccalaureate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders at UTRGV and then transfer to a university that offers an audiology program, or enroll from the outset in a university that has an audiology program.