Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • I have never attended this university and I want to receive educational benefits. What do I need to do?

    For details, click here to open the Veterans Services Center Checklist. If you have any more questions e-mail us at or call to our office in Brownsville at 956-882-8980 and to our office in Edinburg at 956-665-7934.
  • What if I don’t have a transcript because I have never attended another college or university?

    If you have not attended any other institution you will not need to submit a transcript.
  • How do I receive my Certificate of Eligibility?

    Student must apply for their educational benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Click the Apply for Educational Benefits link and you will be redirected their website. Once you have applied for benefits you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail.
  • I turned in my paperwork, but I have yet to receive any money after 2 months. What’s wrong?

    When first processing your paperwork, the Veterans Administration goes by a first come first serve basis so it can take up to three months before first getting paid. After your initial set-up and you have been certified for the first time, the upcoming certification process is a quick one.
  • The certifying official says I have to turn in all this paperwork? Why? Why can’t I just say I want to be certified and that’s it?

    As much as we would love to certify you without any documentation and make the process an easier one, all students wishing to be certified and receive their educational benefits must turn in the required documentation. Any documentation such as degree plans missing from the file will put the student’s certification on hold until it has been received by our department. Our institution must follow VA policy in order to continue serving our student veteran population.
  • Do I have to turn in a degree plan, DD-214, COE, transcripts, and my advisement sheet every semester?

    No, you do not. We recommend that all freshmen and sophomores turn in their advisement sheet every semester to help speed up your certification although it is NOT required. All other documentation does not need to be turned in every semester unless you change your major in which you will need to bring in a new degree plan. If you do not bring in a new degree plan, we will not be able to certify you for any classes not listed under your current degree plan.
  • Can I double major?

    Yes, you can. Both degree plans must be on file and any class you take must be in accordance with what is listed in your degree plan. Any classes not listed will not be certified.