University sponsored financial aids

Financial assistance in the form of scholarships, grants, and loans is available through the Student Financial Aid office. All students interested in applying for financial aid at the university level must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form that may be obtained from the Financial Aid office. The Financial Aid website list types of aids and instructions.

Departmental assistantship opportunities

Student teaching and research assistantships are also available to graduate students on a limited basis through the Department of Psychology. A limited number of TA positions for courses, such as Research Methods and Basic Statistics, are available for a semester basis. Available positions are announced by the Graduate Program Coordinator and students need to apply to the position on time.

A limited number of RA positions may be available. Information regarding RA position may be announced by the Graduate Program Coordinator or faculty members who sponsor the RA positions.

To apply for a departmental teaching or research assistantship, students should submit the application form to the Program Coordinator. To be eligible for a departmental teaching and research assistantship, a student must be enrolled in at least nine hours of courses and not be on probation. An exception to the nine hour rule can be made for students in their very last semester prior to graduation. The exception requires a petition be made to the UTRGV Graduate Office.


TA and RA positions may be available in other departments or colleges. These opportunities may be announced by the Graduate Program Coordinator or by word of mouth.