Operations FAQs

Salary Administration 

  • What is the status of my employment/PeopleSoft access?

    a. Have all onboarding documents been submitted for UTRGV.  If yes, has your department submitted the PAF/ePAF/Stipend?

    b. If all is done, your PAF or ePAF is being processed in the order they were received.

  • When am I getting paid?

    c. Depending on the type of assignment and if the employee is in PeopleSoft they will be paid on the next Hourly or Salary      payroll

  • What documents am I pending to be entered?

    d. Have  you done all Onboarding?

    i. I-9, online and presented documents to HR 

    ii. CBC

    iii. Bio packet/onboarding packet 

  • Why is my pay getting distributed that way?

    e. Assistantships and Part time Lectures get paid based on the amounts provided by the department

    f. Fulltime Faculty get paid based on the Salary spread election.

    g. Full time Staff (Job code, MRS) Annual/12=monthly rate, monthly rate/hours in the month*hours worked

  • Will you be able to provide a Training on the old PAF system that is in PeopleSoft?

    h. The training for the old PAF system (Faculty and Assistantships) is handled by the Provost office.

  • If an employee is moving from one dept. to another, a cPAF is the only thing that needs to be routed. The New Proposed Information for Employee area will be the job information that the employee is going into. The Current Employee Information will be the job information that the employee is leaving from. For example:

    i. An employee was working with HR from 9/1/15 - 12/31/15-- this information would go under the Current Employee Information.

    j. The same employee starts working with LD from 1/1/16 - 8/31/16 -- this information would go under The New Proposed Information for Employee.


  • How do I update a current supervisor/timecard approver?

    If the only change to an employee’s information is the supervisor and/or location (building and/or office number), complete a Location/Supervisor form located on the ePAF system. This form is a shorter version of the CPAF and does not require additional information. 

  • How do I update my address?

    1.)    Employee’s can update their address by logging into PeopleSoft. Simply under main Menu click on UTRGV Employee Self Service – Update Functions – Personal Information – under Main Address click on Update button. “Enter a new address if you have moved” is automatically defaulted click on next, you can now type your new address and click on next and save.

    2.)    Employee’s can also email The Office of Human Resources to HR@utrgv.edu the email should include Employee full name along with employee identification number. Employee will need to provide full address (street, city, state, and zip). Once HR updates an email will be sent to employee that update has been completed.

  • Who can provide me with an employment verification letter?

    Current or former Employees need to email the Office of Human Resources at HR@utrgv.edu to request an employment verification letter. Standard letter that the office of Human Resources provides contains the following information:  University Name & Logo, Name of individual, Dates of employment, salary information, and Title. Individuals may also request to include additional information they may need. Individuals may also inform us of information they wish to exclude from standard letter. Completed letter will be forwarded back by email as PDF attachment.

  • Who can I send an Employment Verification Form to be completed?

    Verification of Employment forms to be completed need to be emailed to the Office of Human Resources at HR@utrgv.edu. Completed Form will be forwarded back by email as PDF attachment.

    For follow up please contact Maria.garcia1@utrgv.edu at (956) 665-2553 or Jesus.escalante@utrgv.edu at (956) 882-7827
  • What do I need to do to have my Name Change?

    Active employees who have updated their name with the Social Security administration must present his/her new social security card to the office of Human Resources indicating new name for update. When visiting the Office of Human Resources please ask for Jesus Escalante or Maria Garcia.

    *Note please have your social security card reflecting your new name on hand when visiting the Office of Human Resources. 


Immigration Services 

  • “I need an H-1B visa” (employment sponsorship), what do I need to do?

    • Employee:  You will need to contact your Department Chair, Department Director, Supervisor or Manager and advise them that employment sponsorship is needed.

    • Employer:  You will need to contact the Human Resources Immigration Services Manager to obtain an Immigration Services Packet (IS Packet).  Please do send him an email and he will give you the instructions. Questions requiring immediate attention may be emailed to the Immigration Services Manager.

  • How long will it take for me to get my visa?

    • Internal (HR) processing can take anywhere between 3 to 5 weeks

    • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) processing can take anywhere up to 8 months upon acceptance for processing by a USCIS certifying officer.

    • Total processing time frame is case specific and if specific information is required, they will need to contact the Immigration Services Manager.

  • How soon can I start working?

    • This depends on the current visa status the individual holds and the status of the petition pending adjudication; this is case specific and will require the individual to contact the department head and/or the Immigration Services Manager.

  • I already have an H-1B visa from my current employer. Can I work with this visa?

    • No. H-1B visas are employer specific, and therefore sponsorship “change of employer petition” will be required for employment at UTRGV.
    • H-1B visa petition must be received by USCIS before the beneficiary can begin working with UTRGV.

  • What are the fees associated with the H-1B visa process?

    • USCIS Petition Filing fee - $320.00; required
    • Department of Homeland Security Anti Fraud Fee - $500.00; required for initial petitions only (IS Manager will advise)
    • Premium Processing Fee - $1,225.00; optional fee to expedite a petition
    • I-539 Dependent Petition - $290.00; optional fee for dependent filing (all family inclusive)
    • ***fees are subject to change without notice at USCIS discretion

  • How can I file for my wife and how much does it cost? Who pays those fee?

    • An I-539 Application will need to be filed for all dependent and HR will process such petition.
    • Does not need to be supplied along I-129 petition; can be submitted at later time but recommended if being expedited.
    • You will need to contact the HR IS Manager for the required documents and processing timeframe.
    • Fee:  $290.00; fee is inclusive for spouse and all dependents if more than one apply.
    • The beneficiary is responsible for this fee. 

  • How long will my visa be valid?

    • H classification visa can be granted for up to six years in total.
    • Employer may petition for up to a 3 year period at a time.
    • Sponsorship period is determined by employing department and not the beneficiary.

  • My visa is going to expire soon. What do I need to do?

    • You will need to contact your department head about sponsorship for renewal.
    • You will also need to contact the HR Immigration Services Manager via email at least 8 months prior to the expiration date of your current visa.