Welcome to the Department of Pharmacology
Pharmacology is the field of science broadly concerned with understanding the effects of drugs and chemicals on humans and other living systems.
In the Department of Family Medicine, we teach learners with an empathic focus on meeting their needs, so that they may reach their highest potential. We care for all those in need using inter-professional, integrated, team-based, state-of-the-art health care, serving others with respect, following the complete biopsychosocial-cultural-spiritual model of care.
Our mission is to train students and other trainees and engage in research that helps further our scientific understanding of the impact of drugs and chemical agents on the human body. Both efforts strive to promote health and wellness in general and thus work towards fulfilling our immediate goal of aiding our physicians in improving the quality of life within the Rio Grande Valley and beyond.
The vision of the UTRGV School of Medicine’s Department of Pharmacology is to build a group of outstanding faculty members who:
Provide the highest quality of education in pharmacology/therapeutics.
Engage in research of recognized excellence within biomedical sciences with a focus on the pharmacological aspects along with their impact on human diseases.
The success of our medical and graduate students, along with our fellows, remains an overarching goal of the department. As the department grows, we aim to provide our faculty with state-of-the-art resources to achieve their educational and scientific missions.
- Offer exemplary education in Pharmacology/Therapeutics and related areas of Biomedical Sciences to provide students and fellows with the requisite training and skills necessary for professional, academic and research success.
- Promote research initiatives that further scientific understanding of issues related to Pharmacology, Therapeutics and related areas of Biomedical Sciences.
- Promote health and well-being with a focus on improving the quality of life within Rio Grande Valley communities and beyond.
- Maintain an unwavering commitment to integrity and excellence.
- Promote diversity and equality in access to opportunities.
- Foster a spirit of inquiry, discovery, and creativity.
Our Pharmacology team is dedicated to enhancing the health care needs of individuals and the quality of life for families in the Rio Grande Valley.