Welcome to the Department of Pediatrics
The Department of Pediatrics at the UTRGV School of Medicine is committed to providing advanced medical training for students to deliver accessible, sustainable, and compassionate patient-centered pediatric care for children.
Our Pediatrics program focuses on educating a diverse group of medical students, residents and future biomedical scientists in children’s and adolescent’s health and bringing hope to children and families by advancing biomedical knowledge through the integration of medical research and education.
We are dedicated to improving the quality health care and wellness of children and adolescents in the Rio Grande Valley and beyond.
To serve as a health care leader in the creation of a diverse pediatric workforce, along with the stimulation of biomedical innovation, and the delivery of patient‐centered pediatric care for the Rio Grande Valley. Por la salud de todos nuestros niños en el Valle.
- Patient‐Centered Care: Dedication to serving pediatric patients and their families through the practice of evidence‐based, patient‐centered medicine.
- Community Focus: Commitment to improving the health outcomes of children and reducing health inequalities of at‐risk populations through community and population‐based interventions.
- Cultural Awareness: Integration of medical knowledge, cultural awareness, and empathy to successfully work with the diverse and unique needs of patients within the community.
- Collaborative Leadership Style: Practice through interprofessional health care teams, as well as the promotion of interdisciplinary leadership in community health.
- Integrity: Commitment to preserving the professional and moral standards through the consistent practice of pediatric medicine in an ethical, honest, confidential, and respectful way.
- Lifelong Learning and Problem Solving: Application of critical thinking skills to approach all health care matters with a problem-solving method, including clinical, community, and social issues.
We look forward to welcoming you to our program as we continue to make history in advancing the health care needs of children and enhancing the quality of life for families in the Rio Grande Valley.
Robert Nelson Jr., MD, MS, FAAP
Senior Associate Dean, Faculty Affairs
Chair, Department of Pediatrics
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine
Robert Nelson Jr., MD, MS, FAAFP
Department of Pediatrics
2102 Treasure Hills Blvd.
Harlingen, TX 78550
Phone: (956) 296-1604