Welcome to the Department of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery
Welcome to the Department of Otolaryngology—Head & Neck surgery (OHNS) at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) School of Medicine. Our department includes an outstanding team of expert health care providers who provide world-class expertise in specialized care of ear, nose, and throat disorders and are deeply committed to improving the health of the Rio Grande Valley community through our clinical, educational, and research programs.
We combine our compassion, diverse medical experience, and state-of-the-art medical facilities and resources to provide advanced medical education and patient care, along with fostering groundbreaking scientific research in South Texas.
The mission of the UTRGV SOM Department of OHNS is to (1) provide safe, effective, timely, efficient, equitable, patient-centered, and comprehensive head and neck care; (2) educate medical students, residents, and learners from other disciplines and backgrounds in the provision of high-quality head & neck care; and (3) create a culture of curiosity and innovation through various means of scientific inquiry and scholarly activity. The Department is committed to sustainably building a comprehensive practice that will provide the totality of tertiary otolaryngologic care for the people of the Rio Grande Valley and beyond.
The vision of the UTRGV SOM Department of OHNS is to provide safe, effective, timely, efficient, equitable, patient-centered, and comprehensive head and neck care through a diverse workforce; and to lead innovation in the care of OHNS patients through scientific inquiry.
ValuesThe Department of Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery is guided by the following values:
- Patient Safety & Quality Improvement: Commitment to provide safe and effective care to patients by building a culture of safety and a goal of continuous quality improvement.
- Cultural Humility: Integration of knowledge, humility, and empathy to successfully work with the diverse and unique needs of our community members.
- Integrity: Commitment to maintaining high professional and moral standards through the consistent ethical, honest, confidential, and respectful practice of medicine.
- Lifelong Learning and Problem Solving: Application of critical thinking to approach all health matters, including clinical, scientific, and social issues.
- Community Focus: Commitment to improving health outcomes and reducing health disparities of at‐risk populations through community and population‐based interventions.
EducationAt the UTRGV School of Medicine Department of Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery, our faculty and staff are creating the next generation of physician leaders in ear, nose, and throat care with innovative educational, research, and service that balance a strong academic core with an exceptional community experience.
Our Educational Programs
In affiliation with our UT Health RGV clinical program, our board certified faculty physicians provide a full spectrum of ear, nose, and throat care, including allergy, sinus, head & neck cancer, salivary glad disease, thyroid tumors, neurotology (hearing loss, dizziness, and skull base tumors), laryngology (voice, swallow, and airway), pediatric, audiology, cosmetic and reconstructive facial plastic surgery, and more.
If you are a patient looking to make an appointment or find a doctor, please visit our UT Health RGV tab located at the bottom of the page or Make An Appointment.
- Ear, Nose, and Throat – Services & Treatments
- Find a Doctor – UT Health RGV
- UT Health RGV Patient Care Locations
Nausheen Jamal, MD
Maria Polanco Contreras
Assistant to the Clinical Chair
Department of OHNS
Phone: (956) 296-1449