Welcome to the Department of Family Medicine
The Department of Family Medicine at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine is committed to creating the future physician leaders of tomorrow through innovative medical education and training to deliver high-quality, compassionate patient-centered care for people of South Texas and beyond.
In the Department of Family Medicine, we teach learners with an empathic focus on meeting their needs, so that they may reach their highest potential. We care for all those in need using inter-professional, integrated, team-based, state-of-the-art health care, serving others with respect, following the complete biopsychosocial-cultural-spiritual model of care.
To improve the quality of health of our communities and reduce health care disparities through innovation and excellence in family medicine education, research, clinical practice, and community service.
- Promoting state-of-the-art patient-centered, inter-professional, integrated education and healthcare
- Continually seeking innovation in education
- Recruiting and training compassionate physicians to provide quality, innovative, and cost-effective healthcare to the region
- Improving access to the needs of underserved populations, and promoting health equity
- Increasing the number and diversity of practicing healthcare professionals
- Service to others
Our UTRGV Family Medicine faculty, students, and residents are making history. We are dedicated to enhancing the health care needs of individuals and the quality of life for families in the Rio Grande Valley.
- Family Medicine at Doctors Hospital at Renaissance
- Family Medicine at Knapp Medical Center
- Family Medicine at McAllen Medical Center
Leonel Vela, MD, MPH
Chair & Professor of Department of Family Medicine
Department of Family Medicine
2102 Treasure Hills
Harlingen, TX 78550
Phone: (956) 296-1534