Office of Technology CommercializationMRIOB 4.349
701 E Expressway 83, McAllen, TX 78501
Phone: (956) 665-3032
Phone Alt: (956) 665-3205
For UTRGV Inventors
Why should researchers work with OTC?
- Investigating, creating, protecting, and commercializing research and intellectual property (IP) is a means to benefit the University, the research and academic environment, and the State of Texas and its residents, as well as researchers and business partners.
- Translating your research into a product that benefits society both fosters recognition of your research efforts, and provides economic benefit to the community.
- Collaboration with industrial partners may result in financial sponsorship of additional research or outside consulting.
- You receive a share of the monetary compensation received by UTRGV from licensing.
- Collaboration with industrial partners may also support your students, provide them invaluable experience, and give them potential future career paths.
Protecting your Intellectual Property
Protecting your Intellectual Property (IP) that results from research is not just a good idea, it’s UT System Policy (Regents' Rules, Series 90000: Intellectual Property).
Once your IP is secure, our office is here to help you comply with regulations and ensure your success through the process of technology commercialization.
Note the following critical mistakes that may cost you intellectual property rights:
Don't publish or disclose your invention before you protect your patent rights. Any public disclosure limits our chance to patent in the U.S., and completely kills our chance to patent in the rest of the world. This includes publishing a paper. Call us first, 3 months prior.
Don't send or accept research samples without an agreement in place. First, have a Material Transfer Agreement in place to settle who-owns-what and to prevent lawsuits. We’ll also check export controls for you.
Don't sign agreements. Faculty have no signature authority and cannot bind the University to any contract, but we can help you get agreements for non-disclosure, material transfer, inter-institutional, and more.