Computer Purchasing Guidelines
Standard computers available from the iTech store within iShop should be purchased unless there is a significant technical need to purchase a different product (special ports, special software vendor requests a specific machine). Exceptions are not warranted for cosmetic and other non-critical preferences. Departments can request an Exception for Research Computers.
Benefits of computers from the UTRGV iTech store:
- Fast Delivery – Computers purchased from the Home tab of the iTech store, are in stock on campus and normally delivered within two business days after the PO is issued. To purchase other standard models, see the Volume Purchase Program tab. Custom orders can be requested via the Custom Quotes tab - Request Quote option.
- Streamlined Processes – for receiving, inventory and Information Technology departments. Dell machines from the iTech store arrive already asset-tagged for UTRGV and pre-imaged with UTRGV’s computer image. This saves the university time and labor.
- Discounts. Selecting a primary vendor allows the university to acquire volume discounts.
- Computers are Business-class computers with standardized parts. Parts used in consumer-class products may differ per machine and may not be up to standards setup for large organizations such as UTRGV. More information on business class versus consumer-class computers. Although two computers may seem similar, a consumer-class product may not have hardware requirements needed for encryption and remote management (so computers can be updated after hours without interrupting work), have a lower-powered or older processor (even if labeled an i7), etc.
- Tested - Works with the standard UTRGV computer image.
- 3-year parts and labor warranty. Many computers have a lesser warranty.
- Faster support - serviceable on campus. Campus technicians are Dell certified so computers can be repaired on campus, versus sending the computer back to the manufacturer. Some manufacturers handle computer repairs by providing a refurbished model (you do not receive the same computer back).
- Data Security - There are no data security concerns when computers are repaired on campus.
- Simplified Support - Having less manufacturers and models simplifies support.
- Compliance with UTRGV standardization of computer purchases Policies and procedures
For additional assistance, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the newsletter from Vantage Point Solutions Group, Business Grade vs. Consumer Grade Computers, they provide guidance on purchasing a computer because not all computers are created equal. Choose wisely while considering demand & reliability, compatibility, security, and warranty.
For questions, assistance, or to report an issue, please visit the UTRGV Support Center.Visit UTRGV Support Center