Maintaining Good Standing

International students are required by U.S. law to know and abide by immigration regulations throughout their stay in the U.S. You have been admitted to this country for the sole purpose of being a full-time or part-time student. Participation in any other activity, from employment to vacation, is considered a privilege and is only allowed in accordance with strict Department of Homeland Security rules. When you entered the U.S., you agreed to abide by the conditions and obligations of your non-immigrant status. As long as you continually meet these obligations, you will be considered “in status” or “maintaining your visa status.” The Office of International Admissions and Student Services provides international students with the information and services to maintain your status. However, it is YOUR responsibility to abide by these regulations and maintain legal student status.


To remain “in status”, you must ALWAYS:

1. Maintain a valid and unexpired passport throughout your stay in the U.S.

2. Attend the school whose name appears on the I-20.

3. Be registered as a full-time student or part-time border commuter student:

F1 full time: (12 credits for undergraduate students or 9 credits for graduate students)

F3 border commuter: (6 credits for undergraduate students or 3-6 credits for graduate students)

4. Keep your I-20 valid at all times, and apply for program extensions before expiration of your I-20.

5. Keep your immigration information current. Update Office of International Admissions and Student Services within 10 days of any change of major, change of level, extensions, finances, dependents, etc.

6. Request a travel signature/endorsement on your I-20 before leaving the U.S.

7. Follow SEVIS immigration transfer procedures when changing from one school to another in the U.S.

8. Upon completion of your program of study, an F-1 student has 60 days:

a. Leave the U.S.,

b. Begin student work authorization (Optional Practical Training – OPT)

c. Obtain a new I-20 for a new school or new program in the next semester

d. Change to another immigration status

9. Constantly check your emails from Office of International Admissions and Student Services or from your international student advisors for important updates and alerts to keep you informed and in status.

10. ALWAYS maintain a 2.00 G.P.A. or better (undergraduates) or 3.00 G.P.A. (graduates – masters) / 3.25 GPA (graduates – doctoral)


To remain “in status”, you must NEVER:

1. Work off campus unless you have the necessary authorization from an Office of International Admissions and Student Services advisor on your   I-20 (OPT, CPT, or Practical Training).

2. Work on campus more than 20 hours a week while school is in session. You may work full time on campus during break periods, summer and winter break.

3. Take a leave of absence, drop below full-time course load, CPT or OPT without receiving approval from the Office of International Admissions and Student Services - International Student Advisor.

4. Drop a class before talking to an International Student Advisor.

5. Take more than 1 online course per semester