Academic Suspension Policy

International Admissions and Student Services adheres to the rules and policies of the University of Texas Rio Grande Valleys listed in the Undergraduate Catalog and Graduate Catalog and federal immigration regulations as per Department of Homeland Security (DHS), in regards to academic standing during the academic progress of international students.  

International Undergraduate Students

International undergraduate students enrolled at UTRGV must follow all procedures and rules established by the Undergraduate Catalog. Undergraduate students must maintain a total 2.0 GPA or higher in order to avoid being placed on academic probation. If an undergraduate student begins a semester on academic probation and does not remove him/herself from academic probation status (achieve a total GPA higher than 2.0) then the student will be placed on academic suspension. Please read the information below, you may also find additional information in the Undergraduate Catalog on pages 80 - 82.

International Graduate Students

International graduate students enrolled in a graduate degree must follow all procedures and rules established by the Graduate College. Master level students must maintain a total 3.0 GPA or higher and doctoral students must maintain a 3.25 GPA or higher on all graduate coursework in order to avoid being placed on probation or suspension. Please make sure to visit with your program advisor in order to make sure no other specific requirements exist for your academic program. A graduate student that received an F in any course or receives three (3) C’s during their academic program will be automatically dismissed from the graduate program. A suspended graduate student may petition for readmissions. Please read more on the Graduate Catalog 2017-2018 or contact the Graduate College for additional information.

As an F-1 student, if you are placed on academic suspension, you will not be permitted to register for classes at UTRGV for the following semester. This action will impact your F-1 status since international students are required to be enrolled full-time.*

The following options are available for international students that have been academically suspended from UTRGV:

  • A student may apply to an appeal for their academic suspension at the Registrars Office or at the Graduate College (depending on the academic level of the student). The appeal must be approved by Registrars Office (undergraduate students) of the Graduate College (graduate students) in order for the student to continue his/her studies at UTRGV.
  • A student may transfer to a different DHS approved school. In order for IASS to transfer your SEVIS record to a new school, as per F-1 student regulation 8CFR214.2(f)(8), students must provide an acceptance letter from the new school no later than the first day of classes at UTRGV of the following semester. If the student complies with this rule, the student might be considered to be maintaining status if there is no interruptions of his/her studies.
  • In order for IASS to transfer the student’s SEVIS record, in a timely manner we will require the acceptance letter three (3) days before the beginning of classes of the following semester.
  • If a student wishes not to continue their studies, the student has the option to withdraw from UTRGV and exit the U.S. within 15 calendar days from the date of the academic suspension notice. The student’s immigration record will be properly terminated in SEVIS once the student submit their Departure Form to IASS.
  • Student who take no action will have their SEVIS record terminated and will be out of immigration status. Student who remain in the country will be accruing unlawful presence in the U.S.

An international student who is placed on academic probation or suspension will receive an official email and/or letter from the Registrars Office or the Graduate College notifying them about their academic status. It is the responsibility of the student to contact the appropriate offices in order to find out about the different options available to them.