First Year Housing Policy

UTRGV First Year Student

On Campus Residence Requirement

Effective Fall 2019


In support of the educational mission of the university and the value of on campus residency to the academic success and social development of students, the university requires students to live on campus in university housing facilities for the first academic year. Compliance with the university housing policy is a condition of enrollment.  All first-year students at UTRGV, who graduated from high school within the preceding 24 months of the semester of their admission, are required to live on campus.


Students who meet one or more of the following criteria are exempt from the first and second year housing requirement, subject to verification and authorization by the university.

  1. First year students residing in the following counties are encouraged to live on campus but not required:
    1. Cameron County, Texas
    2. Hidalgo County, Texas
    3. Starr County, Texas
    4. Willacy County, Texas

      *Proof of parental or guardian primary residence is required.

  2. Married or has dependent children living with the student
  3. A student presents sufficient evidence of an extreme medical condition, as documented by her/his treating physician for which on-campus accommodations cannot be made.
  4. A student presents sufficient and satisfactory evidence of extreme or unusual financial hardship that will be intensified by living in the residence halls.
  5. At least 20 years of age or over on or before the first day of classes of the initial semester of enrollment.
  6. For first year student, completed over 30 semester credit hours (excluding Dual Enrollment and AP credit hours)
  7. A student enrolled in less than 12 credit hours in fall or spring semester
  8. Other (Note: Please provide a detailed explanation and appropriate supporting documentation that demonstrates your need to be exempted from the mandatory First Year Housing Policy)

All students requesting exemption must submit a Housing Policy Exemption Request form no later than July 1 for fall semester and November 1 for spring semester. Requests to be exempted from the First and Second Year Housing Policy must be supported through documentation.

Download the Housing Policy Exemption Request Form