Reporting Sexual Misconduct or Discrimination

All Vaqueros are encouraged to report sexual harassment, sexual misconduct and discrimination.  If prior to making a report, you would like to speak to someone confidentially, UTRGV confidential resources are available, such as, the Office for Victim Advocacy & Violence Prevention (OVAVP), the Vaqueros Crisis Line and the Counseling Center.

Let Us Know- Your Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity

You can submit a report to Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity (OIED) using the OIED Report It form.

Please include the following information, if available:

  • Your name and contact details
  • Names of the implicated persons (complainants & respondents)
  • Approximate date and time that the incidence(s) occurred
  • Where the incidence(s) occurred
  • What happened or what you think happened (if you, or someone you know, was asleep or incapacitated)
  • Whether you are seeking immediate help from the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity, such as with a no contact order or a housing accommodation
  • Whether you made an earlier report and to whom
  • Whether the victim wishes to remain anonymous

Title IX Responsible Employees

UTRGV is committed to maintaining an environment free of sex discrimination, and most employees are designated as Title IX Responsible Employees. Title IX Responsible Employees must inform the Title IX Coordinator or a Deputy Coordinator whenever they receive a report of sexual misconduct. 

Law Enforcement

  • Call 9-1-1 (if an emergency) or contact local law enforcement.
  • UTRGV Police Department (University Police): (956) 882-7777 or (956) 882-4911
  • City of Edinburg Police (Edinburg Police): (956) 289-7700
  • City of Brownsville Police (Brownsville Police): (956) 548-7000

If you wish, the Title IX Coordinator and Title IX Deputy Coordinators can help you contact these law enforcement agencies.

Also, if you have protective or restraining orders relevant to a UTRGV report of sexual misconduct, we encourage you to provide a copy to University Police.

External Reporting:

  • Office of Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education (OCR)
  • U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
  • Texas Workforce Commission, Civil Rights Division (TWC)