While companies with more women in leadership positions tend to see benefits to their bottom line, gender stereotypes and biases can make it difficult for women to become recognized as leaders and to advance into managerial or executive positions at work. It also reviews common managerial challenges and introduces techniques, strategies, and best practices to overcome those obstacles.
What You Will You Learn:
• Identify common challenges for women who are in, or looking to be in, positions of management
• Differentiate between leadership, management, and administration
• Describe how managers must effectively lead people—subordinates, peers, and superiors—to achieve goals
• Understand common challenges for new managers and strategies for handling them
• Engage in common managerial tasks like delegating, motivating, coaching, delivering feedback, navigating conflict, and disciplining poor behavior
This course is designed for women currently serving or seeking to serve in a leadership or management role and who are interested in using real-world application of leadership and management competencies to remove barriers in their organizations.
No Prerequisites required.
Mrs. Maria Leonard is a faculty member and internship coordinator for the Robert C. Vackar College of Business and Entrepreneurship at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV VCoBE). She specializes in teaching upper-level business management courses in topics ranging from Leadership, Business Ethics, Sustainable Economic Development, Stakeholder Management, and Organizational Behavior. In the spring of 2019, Mrs. Leonard was selected to act as the liaison to the Business Executive Advisory Council for the college to aid in its efforts to support student success and strengthen the college relationship with the business community in the region.
Online Course Information
In-Class Session: 4 hours (Instructor-Led)
Online Instruction: 3 hours (Asynchronous)
Location for In-Class Sessions:
Online via Zoom*(review "notes" section below for further details)
Ms. Maria Leonard
*Until further notice, due to COVID-19 restrictions, in-class courses will be primarily offered via Zoom. However, we will allow up to 6 participants in the classroom on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you wish to secure your in-person seat, please email email@example.com as soon as you complete the registration for the course.