Student Job Search

Before applying for a Job on Campus

  1. Prepare a Resume
  2. Log in to with your credentials and select the Handshake icon
  3. Update your Handshake profile
  4. Upload your resume in Handshake 

Student Employment Eligibility

Students must be enrolled at UTRGV in order to apply for student employment on campus

  • US citizens or residents must be enrolled at least 6 credit hours (some positions might require more credit hours’ enrollment than others).
  • International students must be enrolled full time (12 credit hours or more).
  • Undergraduate student employees may work up to 19 hours per week.
  • Graduate students may work up to 20 hours per week.

Direct Wage (DW) Requirements

Direct wage employment offers the opportunity to work on campus without having a work-study award. Any student enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours) in UTRGV and meets the SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) qualifies to work as a direct wage 

employee. International students can be hired through direct wage, and are required to be enrolled a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.

 Work-Study Employment (WS)

Work-study is a state and/or government subsidized student employment program designed to assist US citizen or resident students in financing their post-secondary education. First you must apply for admissions to UTRGV and complete and submit the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Then be enrolled at least 6 credit hours per semester, and meet the SAP (Satisfactory Academic Performance). Your eligibility for financial aid is determined by different number of factors. Go to Financial Aid for eligibility requirements.  For more information visit Financial Aid webpage.

 Work-Study/Community Service Programs (WS)

Under the work-study, community service program, you must be a US citizen or resident, and be enrolled at least 6 credit hours per semester. You have the opportunity to work off campus at a pre-approved agency such as the McAllen Public Library, Edinburg Boys and Girls Club, Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District, Pharr Library, Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville and more, including nonprofit agencies around the Rio Grande Valley. Duties range from performing various office aid responsibilities to tutoring elementary aged students in math or reading, etcetera. If you are interested in participating in our community service programs, go to Financial Aid for eligibility requirements, and contact the Work-Study Coordinator for more information.

Student Employment Initiative (SEI) Program

Student Employment Initiative (SEI) provides you the opportunity to work on campus as part of UTRGV student retention and time to graduate strategy. It enables students to earn money, create a network with faculty and staff, but most of all, gain employment experiences that can be transfer to future employment after graduation. To qualify as an SEI employee, you are required to be enrolled 15 credit hours per semester, have and maintain a semester and overall GPA of 3.0 or higher. For complete qualifications information visit Student Employment Initiative program.

Graduate Student Assistantship

Assistantships give students the opportunity to work on campus (up to 20-hour workweeks) and are based on college/institutional demands and funds. Three types of assistantships are offered and include teaching, research and graduate. Please see your program director about the different assistantships available in your field of study. You should also visit for additional Graduate Assistantship opportunities.

Graduate Assistantships:

 International Student

International Students are permitted to work on campus, with Direct Wage option for undergraduates or assistantships for graduate students. Must be enrolled full time (minimum of 12 credit hours for undergraduate, 9 credit hours for Graduate students).

Review links below for additional information:

International Admissions and Student Services

On-Campus Employment for F-1 Students

Employment authorization form