The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

University Police Division of Campus Safety & Security

Frequently Asked Questions



  • What are the differences between an officer and a specialist?

    The answer to this FAQ will appear soon.

Crime Reporting and Prevention

  • How can I report a crime in progress on campus?

    To report a crime in progress please call the UTRGV Police Department

    • Brownsville - (956) 882-8232
    • Edinburg (956) 665-7151
    • Harlingen - (956) 882-7232
  • What are some tips on how to stay safe when walking at night on campus?

    While Walking At Night

    • Avoid walking or jogging alone at night. Instead go walking or jogging with a friend.
    • If you can not find someone to walk with you………contact the University Police at 316-7151 for an escort to your destination.
    • Do not use headphones while walking, driving or jogging.
    • Always walk in well-lighted areas.
    • Avoid the use of short cuts.
    • After dark, keep away from large bushes or doorways where someone could be lurking.
    • If someone in a vehicle stops and asks for directions, answer from a distance. Do not approach the vehicle.
    • If followed, go immediately to an area with lights and people. If needed, turn around and walk in the opposite direction.
    • If someone in a car follows you and is persistent or becomes obscene, write down the license plate number and report it to the University Police as soon as possible.
    • Do not display cash openly, especially when leaving an ATM.