The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

Privacy Notice

An unexpected accident or illness can be devastating to academic performance. All enrolled students who meet the eligibility requirements of Health Services are encouraged to use the Health Service Clinics for basic medical care and wellness needs. The following insurance information is for students who need services beyond the scope of the Health Service Clinics.

Frequently Asked Question

Private Health Insurance

Health Service does not accept or bill private health insurance carriers for services rendered in our facility. We will provide itemized statements for charges resulting from your visit so you may file a claim with your insurance carrier.

University of Texas System Injury and Sickness Insurance

You are eligible to purchase coverage under this policy if you are a registered fee-paying student at a component institution of The University of Texas System. Eligible dependents of enrolled students may participate in this plan on a voluntary basis.

For a complete list of all the benefits, exclusions, and limitations, please see the current plan year brochure. You can view the current brochure.

Follow the directions on the website for more information or to enroll in the policy.

Mandatory Insurance for International Students

The Board of Reagents for The University of Texas System requires all international students holding non-immigrant visas and living in the United States to maintain approved health insurance while enrolled at a component institution of the University of Texas.

The Board of Reagents has authorized the assessment of a health insurance fee to each international student who cannot provide evidence of continuing coverage under another approved plan.

This fee will be the amount of the premium approved for the UT System Student Health Insurance Plan. This required coverage includes Repatriation and Medical Evacuation benefits.

For more information on international student requirements, visit the International Student Advisement Office or call them at (956) 665-2922.