Supervisors' Resources

Hiring a Student Employee

All on campus positions for undergraduate student employees must be posted in the Career Connection. Need assistance to post an on-campus job? Contact a student employment coordinator from Career Center at: for assistance. All Graduate positions must be posted though Human Resources at:

To hire an undergraduate student employee in a promptly matter just follow the instructions below.

Posting a Job

* Before posting a job, you will need to create an account at Career Connection. (Contact a student employment coordinator at for training and assistance).

* Now you can begin job posting with an official job description (see chart below). * To find the official job description, after logging in Career Connection, click on “Resource Library” on the left hand side menu or click on Career Connection Guide.

* Select the official job description for the job title and classification code that best describes the job you are posting.

* Then the job posting will be revised for approval in order for the student to view it and apply to that specific job.

Hiring Process

* When the student is selected and the job offer is given, supervisors will create an ePAF for completely new employee or a CPAF to re-hire a student employee:

1. ePAF is created for completely new employee that has never worked at UTRGV, or has a break of service of 6 or more months. Human Resources required on-boarding documentation which includes CBC and I-9. This documents need to be cleared prior to the first day of employment.

2. CPAF is created for students that were previously employed at any department at UTRGV, no CBC or I-9 is needed at this point.

3. ePAF/CPAF need to be created at least 2 weeks prior to first day of employment. 4. To create an ePAF or a CPAF go to: Electronic Personal Action Form (ePAF/CPAF) 5. After logging into the ePAF system, check under Resources for CPAF/ePAF Manual, or for CPAF Instructions

Different Options to Hire a Student Employee On-campus

* Direct Wage * Work Study * SEI * Graduate Assistantships (for Graduate students only) go to:

The chart below includes the job titles you can use to hire a student for the FY 2016-2017. This chart includes the minimum and maximum pay rate compensation per classification code.

Job Title  Classification Code Minimum Pay Rate Maximum Pay Rate Maximum Hours Per Week
Student Academic Tutor 00057 $8.00 $15.00 19

Student Academic Assistant

00058 $8.00 $15.00 19
Student Assistant 00059 $8.00 $13.00 19
Student Project Associate 00060 $10.00 $25.00 19
SEI Student Assistant 00059 $10.00 $13.00 19
Research Assistant 00095 See note below See note below 20
Teacher Assistant 00047 See note below See note below 20
Graduate Assistant 00096 See note below See note below 20
Assistant Instructor 00064 See note below See note below 20

Part Time Non Student


00061 $8.00 $30.00 19


* Masters minimum is $5,000 per semester at 50% FTE

* Doctoral minimum is $9,000 per semester at 50% FTE

* Maximum depends on additional grants availability

* For assistantships or to hire a Graduate Student

* VISIT Graduate College Webpage at:

* Also visit Human resources to post the assistantships at:

Hiring International Students

The hiring department must complete an employment authorization form to hire an international student. This form must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the student first day on the job.

Please follow the instructions on the links below:

Hiring International Students Int’l Students Employment Authorization Form

On-Campus Employment opportunities for students with F-1 visa Information for Students with F-1 visa to Apply for a U.S. Social Security Number