Student Employment Initiative Program

The UTRGV Student Employment Initiative (SEI) Program was initiated in Fall 2005 as part of UTB’s Retention and Timely Graduation Strategy. The SEI Program is a unique model for student employment, one of which is rigorous and incentive-based, requiring accountability for students’ academic, as well as work, performance.  It recognizes the compelling need that our students have to work while attending college. However, we know that off-campus work obligations can sometimes contribute to deviations that may result in poor academic progress. For this reason, SEI is designed to help reduce some of those burdens by providing an on-campus employment alternative.

The SEI Program was not only recognized by the Texas Higher Education Board in 2008 with the “Star Award”, but also was nationally recognized with the “Example of Excelencia” in 2013 by the Excelencia in Education Organization in Washington, DC.

The SEI Program pays 75% of the student employee wages, the hiring department pays the remaining 25%, and the pay rate is $10.00 per hour.

Supervisor’s Responsibilities when hiring an SEI:

  • Supervisors play the role of mentors and are required to meet with their students regularly and guide them in their academic and work performance.
  • Participating students are employed for a maximum of 19 hours per week in a job related to their major.
  • Supervisors must complete a student evaluation at the end of each semester.
  • Supervisor must verify the eligibility of the student before offering the SEI position.

Qualifications for students to be eligible for the SEI program:

  • Must be pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree for the first time.
  • Be enrolled 15 credit hours or more, each Fall and Spring semesters.
  • Have and maintain a minimum Cumulative and Semester GPA of 3.0 or higher.
  • Meet SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) requirements. 
  • High School Graduate or GED (High school students do not qualify).
  • Have a minimum of 12 credit hours completed in residence as a full-time UTRGV student.
  • Transfer students should have a minimum of 30 credit hours completed.
  • First time applicants with over 90 credit hours completed do not qualify.
  • Be a U.S. Citizen, Resident, or International Student with F-1 Visa.

To apply for SEI program follow job search instructions, once you log in to utrgv.edu with your credentials and have access to your profile in career connection, you will click on the “additional information” tab to respond your interest in applying for the SEI program.

The SEI candidates should upload the following documents to their Career Connection profile:

  • Résumé
  • Fall and/or spring semester Class Schedules of applying semester
  • Unofficial Transcript

For additional information contact Assistant Director for Student Employment:

 Ana Perez at: Ana.perez@utrgv.edu